My family loves stuffed peppers and spicy food so its a no brainer to prepare this dish! It boasts bold flavors and is so pretty to look at. Its also a great way to incorporate veggies in your meal!
- 6 large bell peppers
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ to 1 tsp red chili flakes (customize heat to your taste)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Hot Italian Sausauge Roll or 4 large Italian sausages, casings removed
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping.
- Wash and dry the bell peppers. Slice off the tops of the peppers and remove the pith and seeds. If necessary, run under water to remove all the seeds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom of an oven-safe casserole dish; set aside and fill the dish with the peppers; set aside.
- Prepare wild rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onions and red chili flakes for 3-5 minutes until softened, stirring often to avoid burning. Add garlic and sausages, breaking up the meat so it crumbles. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes until sausages are cooked through. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together the sausage mixture, cooked rice, and Parmesan. Fill each bell pepper with the mixture and sprinkle the tops with a bit more Parmesan. Add the pepper tops to the casserole dish, if desired (they’re pretty and fun to serve with each pepper!).
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes until cheese is melted and peppers are soft to the touch (they should be soft, but not mushy). Serve warm.